Parents Together and Parents ForeverBoth are educational/mutual support programs for parents of youth and young adults.
- Parents Together is for parents of youth 12 to 18 years of age.
- Parents Forever is for parents of youth and young adults (18 and up) who are abusing substances.
Participants learn effective strategies that can lead to improved relationships, decrease conflict in the home, and improve communication within their family. Parents also learn about adolescent development, the importance of self-care and that they are not alone in their parenting challenges. This is all provided in a confidential, non-judgmental environment.
Parents Forever is a mutual support group for family members of adult children who struggle with substance abuse. Parents Forever provides a safe and confidential place for parents and family members to come together and share their experiences, wisdom, and courage.
Parenting Programs PSA
What is offered?The primary goals are to help parents:
- Rediscover their strengths, resources, and sense of worth
- Work with family members to end the power struggle with their youth/adult children
- Support and be supported by other parents in order to solve problems and make plans for change
- Build more positive and connected family relationships
Many parents report better relationships with their youth/adult children as a result of the support they receive and the education and communication skills they learn at group meetings. Parents also experience many other benefits such as:
- Increased confidence as a parent
- Anger management skills and a better ability to defuse conflict
- Better relationships with spouse and past partners
- Knowledge of issues affecting their child’s lives
- Increased ability to advocate on behalf of themselves and their families
- Compassion for other families
- Decreased isolation and greater friendship
- Access to community resources
- New coping and communication skills
For additional information, please contact:
Parents Together: 604.325.0556 or email [email protected]
Three of the groups are English speaking (Vancouver & Burnaby), one group is conducted in Vietnamese (Vancouver), and another in Punjabi (Delta)
Parents Forever: 604.524.4230 / remote 1.604.860.4203 or email [email protected]
The group meets every second Friday evening on the West Side of Vancouver. St. Mary’s Anglican Church (Kerrisdale), 2490 West 37th (at Larch), Vancouver, BC.
PARENTING AFTER SEPARATION (PAS)
PAS is a free, three-hour information session for parents, guardians, grandparents, or other family members who are dealing with child custody, guardianship, access, and support issues. The session helps parents make informed decisions about separation and ensure that these decisions take the best interests of their children into account. Topics discussed include the effects of separation on both parents and children, effective communication, and problem solving in a variety of parenting situations.
Sessions are held Monday mornings and Tuesday evenings at Progressive Intercultural Community Services Society (PICS) – 2nd Floor, 12725 80 Avenue, Surrey, BC.
To register, please call 604-591-9262 ext. 127.