START DATE: ASAP
REPORTS TO: Manager, Employment Services
Summary of Responsibilities
Boys & Girls Club of South Coast BC are seeking a results orientated Employment Counsellor who is passionate about empowering clients to successfully reach and sustain their employment goals. The Employment Counsellor is responsible for ensuring client’s needs are assessed, an action plan is developed, barriers are addressed and contact is maintained with clients throughout their journey into sustainable employment.
- Assesses potential clients’ program eligibility for the WorkBC program and provides service information to clients. Assists clients to navigate between programs and services, and refers ineligible clients to other appropriate community resources.
- Conducts Client Needs Assessment (CNA) and employment support services, including Work Experience, Skills Enhancement, Job Search and Job Sustainment.
- Understands the WorkBC program service policies and contractual obligations, and understands the role an Employment Counsellor plays in achieving these goals (i.e. Key Performance Measures and contractual outcomes).
- Maintains and monitors client progress to successful job attachment outcome by building a strong rapport with clients, documenting client activities in the data base, providing on-going client support, and conducting routine follow-up to a minimum of 52 weeks.
- Maintains an excellent working knowledge of local labour market trends, community resources, the needs of job seekers and employers, and effective ways to bridge their respective needs.
- Attends and takes an active role in participating in program, departmental and all-staff meetings; including team meetings and case conferences.
- Provides back-up for Job Developers and undertakes other duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Utilizes the Integrated Case Management system (ICM) to capture client data, create action plans and monitor client progress.
- Prepares client progress notes, action plans and follow up reports in accordance with Ministry requirements.
- Conducts formal needs assessments with clients using various assessment tools and makes referrals to specialized assessment providers as required.
- Monitors client progress by reviewing activities and results on an agreed upon schedule.
- Conducts one-to-one employment counseling to enhance self sufficiency and labour market attachment.
- Supports clients in the development of effective resumes, networking, accessing the hidden job market, and other job search activities, such as providing sample template resume’s; showing client’s how to log on and use the available computers, advising clients which web-sites to search and registering clients for job-search related workshops.
- Determines client need and eligibility for financial supports.
- Other duties as required.
- Clean Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector)
- A post-secondary certificate, degree or diploma in a relevant field (e.g. career or employment development, vocational rehabilitation, social work, psychology, human services, counselling, education or human resources management)
- Working knowledge of Work BC Integrated Case Management Tool and Employment Programs of BC policies and procedures
- Ability to meet key performance measures and objectives while providing a client centered quality service
- Good knowledge of existing programs, services, community resources and local labour market conditions
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills, possessing patience, tact, flexibility and ability to build rapport with clients
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi task
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings
- Reliable vehicle insured for business (2 million liability) and ability to work in both the North Delta and Ladner locations
- A Certified Career Development Practitioner designation is desirable
This is a full time (35 hours per week) salary position with benefits after six months.
Thank in advance to all persons who apply for this position. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.