Job Development Coach
START DATE: ASAP
REPORTS TO: Manager, Employment Services
Summary of Responsibilities
The Job Development Coach works with the Employment team to provide employment and life skills related support to youth and young adult clients in the new Employment Now programs and other BGC employment programs. The key objectives of this position are to ensure that participants become more independent and self-reliant by overcoming barriers to employment and to increase their employability and achieve and maintain sustainable labour market or work experience. The Job Development Coach will market Boys and Girls Clubs employment services to employers and eligible potential participants. The Job Development Coach will monitor work placements, develop relationships with employers, and provide participants with ongoing coaching and support to ensure a positive experience.
- Understands and works in accordance with policies, procedures, and standards as set out by Boys & Girls Clubs of South Coast BC and by various ministries to meet key performance measures and contractual outcomes.
- Interviews participants and conducts vocational testing to ascertain interests, skills, job readiness, and goal setting to explore educational/vocational opportunities. Advises participants of other BGC services as needed.
- Determines participants’ financial needs through an in-depth analysis of their existing financial situation as well as what services they will need.
- Provides participants with one-on-one counselling and coaching
- Supports Facilitators in workshops to assist participants in designing self-marketing tools including resume development, cover letters, references, and interviewing techniques, etc.
- Provides career exploration workshops to assist participants to recognize skills and values, interests, and aptitude related to career choices.
- With the Facilitator, works with participants to develop an individualized action plan.
- Provides research assistance for education and training opportunities for participants in preparation for employment training.
- Finds employment opportunities for participants and develops host/employer relationships to increase future placement opportunities.
- Provides referrals for participants to other community support services as required.
- Collaboratively engages with the Facilitator to review and support participant action plans.
- Offers feedback on cover letters and resumes prepared by participants.
- Facilitates the mock “interview readiness assessment” process with participants.
- Introduces participants to the online job search tools to access all generated job leads.
- Supports participants through the interview and employment decision-making processes.
- Accurately Monitors and records contact with employers and employers’ claims for any participant related expense including accessing wage subsidies.
- Markets services to employers and community groups to increase awareness of the benefits of hiring program participants.
- Educates employers about the strengths of diverse youth and young adult participants to ensure optimum placement.
- Monitors work placements and provides participants with mentoring and regular feedback.
- Provides follow-up services to participants who have left the program.
- Liaises with Facilitator to monitor the post-employment success of participants.
- May work in other employment sites/programs during high volumes and/or coverage needs as required.
- Other duties as required.
- Clean Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector)
- Willing to travel and provide service at various employment service site locations, and do outreach throughout the service areas.
- Post-secondary diploma or certification in human development, marketing, or a business practices-related discipline, combined with two or more years of experience in the community services field or the equivalent of education and expertise working with youth and young adults.
- A minimum of two to three years in employment services; recruiter experience.
- Knowledge of current local and regional economic conditions and labour market information across range of industry sectors.
- Knowledge of occupational matching.
- Ability to provide employment and career counselling to diverse populations.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to assist participants with career exploration and job search activities.
- Strong knowledge of business structures and the issues faced by small and large organizations in recruiting and retaining a multicultural workforce.
- Proven experience developing productive and professional relationships with individual clients, business community associations and employer partners.
- Demonstrated experience successfully marketing services to employers to garner labour market information, generate job leads, and create opportunities for employer and job seeker interactions such as workplace experience, mentoring, or volunteering.
- Knowledge and ability to speak to and promote other BGC services that may benefit current and potential participants.
- Must be self-motivated.
- A reliable vehicle insured for business use and $2 million liability, and a clean drivers abstract.
This is a full time (35 hours per week) position from with benefits after 6 months and pension after one year.
Thank in advance to all persons who apply for this position. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.