START DATE: ASAP
REPORTS TO: Director, Camp and Facilities
Summary of Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Director of Camp and Facilities, the Maintenance Staff assesses and responds to maintenance needs across all Boys and Girls Club worksites and is responsible for basic repairs and maintenance, as well as seasonal maintenance work. As a “handi-person,” this employee is a generalist in maintenance jobs ranging from painting to plumbing, electrical, and carpentry.
Completes maintenance tasks and upkeep on facilities, including but not limited to:
- Repair/replacement of lights, dishwashers, smoke alarms, hot water heaters.
- Minor plumbing issues including clogs and minor leaks (toilets, sinks, basins), and storm drainage.
- Repair/replacement of cupboards, shelves, doors, locks, stairs, railings, fences, and ramps.
- Cleaning gutters, removing debris from roofs, replacing shingles and flashing, emergency patching and caulking, snaking drains.
- Basic landscaping including hedge trimming, clearing, and edging.
- Maintenance checks for HVAC and various mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.
- All necessary seasonal and regular upkeep (i.e., power washing, floor scrubbing, painting, adjustments of lighting and building thermostats, cleaning furnaces, cleaning drains, gutters, waxing floors, painting, etc.).
With the Director of Camp and Facilities and using the online maintenance systems:
- Develops a workplan and schedule to prioritize work and tasks.
- Assists in assessing work to determine if an external company is required and arranges contracting if necessary (i.e., defining scope of work, securing quotes, scheduling work, monitoring progress).
- Works within the assigned maintenance budget.
Additionally, the Maintenance Staff:
- Prepares and supports paint parties as required.
- Responds to facility emergencies (outside regular hours if necessary).
- Transports equipment between BGC sites and storage facilities, transports large items for disposal, assists in special event pick-ups/deliveries and pick-up of donated items.
- Undertakes other duties as may be assigned.
- Clean Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector).
- Valid BC Class 5 driver’s and a clear driver’s abstract.
- Use of a reliable vehicle capable of transporting supplies as needed, and insured for business use ($2 million liability).
- Flexibility, tactfulness, and an attitude of customer service.
- Competency in diverse maintenance and construction-related areas.
- Relevant trades training or experience is an asset.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong problem-solving and communication skills.
- Familiarity with WorkSafeBC safety protocols.
- Ability and willingness to use and/or learn technology (email, apps, computer, etc.).
Thank in advance to all persons who apply for this position. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.