START DATE: Sep 2019
REPORTS TO: Youth Programmer
Summary of Responsibilities
Reporting to the Youth Programmer, the Youth Mentor delivers quality educational and social recreational programs for youth aged 13-18. The Youth Mentor provides support, mentorship and tutoring to youth in grades 8-12, to help them achieve their goals and meet their full potential throughout high school and beyond.
- Plans, prepares and leads programs that promote critical thinking, leadership skills and educational development.
- Develops and fosters positive relationships with participant youth while role modelling to volunteer mentors on setting boundaries and providing support where needed.
- Mentors and guides youth to help them succeed in their academic achievements.
- Monitors and records the progress of program participants, to create a clear understanding of each individual young person.
- Works with all staff and volunteers to provide a safe and inclusive space for all youth and volunteer tutors.
- Monitors and supervises the youth spaces within the Club, to create boundaries and ensure a safe space for all participants.
- Clean Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector)
- Experience working with a diverse range of young people as a mentor (experience providing academic support and guidance to youth preferred).
- Education/training working with you or similar field preferred.
- Motivated, enthusiastic, flexible attitude and an ability to work as a team player.
- Must be over the age of 21.
- Second language, class 4 driver’s license, and lifeguard certification are considered assets.
- Ability to work a range of hours/shifts including evenings.
Please note that successful candidates must be available to work a minimum of two shifts per
week, and be required to complete approximately 14 hours of staff training.
Thank in advance to all persons who apply for this position. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.